Wonder by R. J. Palacio

6:25:00 PM


Another book review... Yeay, I'm so excited!!


This book was already in my 'book-to-buy' wishlist, in a long time. Once again, I've been attracted to a book by its cover. So simple, yet mysterious to pictured the whole story. This book absolutely made me "Wonder" *hahaha* Besides the cover, I also been attracted by its short synopsis in Goodreads,

I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?
Goodreads is a source that I believe if it comes to book, even when a friend of mine told me that sometimes Goodreads is just full of people with over-rated review. Yeah, I agree with it, but when you know nothing about a book, all you can do is found any kind of information, which is presented well in there. This book is so unique, cause the synopsis is not placed in the back of the book, but inside the book, in the first page. I wonder why, because the time you could read the synopsis just when you already open the plastic wrapping and ready to read it. For me, the time when you open the wrapping and you ready to read, the synopsis was not important anymore, because it means I already like and fall in love with the book if I already purchased it.

Well, back to the story.....
It's the story about Auggie, and basically about his first time in public school. Like the synopsis told, Auggie is just an ordinary kid with an extraordinary face. You can imagine how hard it is for him. To start something so new, in a very new place, full of people who want to know you, not because any great things about you but because they curious about your face and your story. I should say curious because sometimes people didn't care, they just want to know it. They didn't really want to help you, they just need something to talk about with their friends.


When I read it, I feel so bad for him. Honestly, I really pity him. Can you imagine when you want to live your life like the other normal people, start your school like the other new students, play with your friends like the other normal kids, it become so hard just because a single thing. But, when I read the book, sometimes I being angry at Auggie, for how spoiled he is. When he came home crying of a single thing, when he refused to go back to school because of something, when he feels like the most unfortunately person out there. But then again I try to placed myself into his shoes, I absolutely will did the same, even worse. How hard it is to him, no one could imagine when you don't feel it by yourself. I really like how his sister try to convince him, about school and about his friends. How she can change a single thing and thought of Auggie, I really like it. And sometimes I feel pity for her, when she faced some issues and no one could beside her just because something happen to Auggie. I really like how she faced her problem and didn't want to burden the other, especially her parents. Even when sometimes she acts like the other teens, with some embarrassing of her family, some jealously to her brother, but in the end she stop it all and try to become a good sister and daughter. She thought us to become a mature sister by understanding the situation of her home, her family.

I really like a book that can make you change, make you believe, and make you know more. In this book, I got it all. I change, I wonder about myself in his shoes, in his sister's shoes, or the other characters, and I become more grateful to become who I am today, with the greatest things in my life, and for the family who I got. I believe that there are more good people out there, more than what we know, more than we could imagine, and more that the bad people in the news. I believe more to a sincerely friendship, and I believe that there are friends who really like you and love you to the way you are, not just because of your face, your money, your brains, or even your other friends. I know more, that there are some cases like Auggie in real life, that there are some "Auggie" out there, that this story not just any fiction that comes from no where but this is from something and someone who related to the Author. In the end of the book, you will be longing and loving Auggie just like your little brother. You'll ended up proud of him and be moved of him. How he faced his problem, how he grew up to become a brave young man and someone who love his life. You will feels so grateful that in the end his surrounding is full of good people, the people who like him the way he is and people that comes out from curiosity of his face to a friend who didn't really care of it.

Another reason why I really like this book is because the writing style of the Author. It a light book I should say, and don't make me tired to read it even in a long time, or until midnight after my working day. I feels like this book should be categorized as children book more than a young adult one. She write this book perfectly, from any different point of view of the characters in this book. The way she write in this book, explicitly told us that sometimes the way we saw something was different from the facts, the way we thought about something is different from what the others thought, and the way we judge something is somehow not same at all with what it actually is. Prejudice is not a good thing at all. Stop act like you know it so much, when you actually don't know the reason other people did and feel about something.

If this book being adapted to movie, I believe everyone will cringe and judge Auggie –like what other people do in this book. But, to read about Auggie and didn’t know the real face of him, it makes me wondering and imagine how horrible it is (sorry to say it’s horrible, but from the description, I do imagined his face like that). Read this book make me wonder what will I do if I have the exactly same friend like Auggie, will I be a best friend with him, or will I judge him and feel shock and sometimes disgusted of his face –like Auggie's schoolmates. After read this book, I want myself to become less judge, less dislike some people out of nothing, and become more friendly, humble, and open to any new people I meet. I should become more sociable and try to know people before I judge and decided that I don't really like a person. I want to be more loved for the way I am, the way I thinking, the jokes I told, the story I have and the path I take, not because of any artificial things in our life.

Out of 5, this book absolutely worth 5 stars (actually I don't rated much books with 5 stars, unless I like and love it much, like Harry Potter series, so this book is that good to worth my precious stars hahaha). I can't wait to have the other book about Auggie, and the other story R. J. Palacio wrote. Let's save some money~~

My favorite quotes of this book:
“Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.”

“Now that I look back, I don't know why I was so stressed about it all this time. Funny how sometimes you worry a lot about something and it turns out to be nothing.”

“The best way to measure how much you've grown isn't by inches or the number of laps you can now run around the track, or even your grade point average-- though those things are important, to be sure. It's what you've done with your time, how you've chosen to spend your days, and whom you've touched this year. That, to me, is the greatest measure of success.” 

“Here’s what I think: the only reason I’m not ordinary is that no one else sees me that way.”

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram